Vitamin D and coronary artery risk detected by computed tomography
Dominik Pella 1; Claudia Gibarti 2; Zuzana Pella 3; Jozef Gonsorčík 4
I. kardiologická klinika LF UPJŠ a VÚSCH, a. s., Košice
1; Oddelenie rádiológie VÚSCH, a. s., Košice
2; Katedra kybernetiky a umelej inteligencie, Fakulta elektrotechniky a informatiky, TU v Košiciach
3; II. kardiologická klinika LF UPJŠ a VÚSCH, a. s., Košice
AtheroRev 2019; 4(3): 176-178
Vitamin D has a significant impact on our health. It is responsible for regular bone development and metabolism and is essential for proper cell differentiation, for the immune system, insulin secretion, blood pressure regulation, and other processes necessarily for life. There are many well-established health risks of vitamin D deficiency, even more probably exist relationship between levels of vitamin D and the risk of coronary artery disease. Cardiovascular disease are still the leading cause of mortality not only in Slovak Republic, but more or less, worldwide. Submitted review describes possible relationship between vitamin D deficiency and the level of cardiovascular risk. Computed tomography may be used for more precise indication of selective coronary angiography, preferentially in patients with ambiguous clinical findings. Its relationship to vitamin D level (sometimes is even sufficient only determination of calcium score) could be helpful in clinical application of so called personalized medicine.
calcium score – cardiovascular risk – coronary artery disease – CT angiography – vitamin
- De Backer G, Jankowski P, Kotseva K et al. Management of dyslipidaemia in patients with coronary heart disease: Results from the ESC-EORP EUROASPIRE V survey in 27 countries. Atherosclerosis 2019; 285: 135–146. Dostupné z DOI: <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2019.03.014>.
- [NCD Risk Factor Collaboration (NCD-RisC)]. Worldwide trends in diabetes since 1980: a pooled analysis of 751 population-based studies with 4.4 million participants. Lancet 2016; 387(10027): 1513–1530. Dostupné z DOI: <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140–6736(16)00618–8>. Erratum in Department of Error. [Lancet. 2017].
- Nolte K, Herrmann-Lingen C, Platschek L et al. Vitamin D deficiency in patients with diastolic dysfunction or heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. ESC Heart Fail 2019; 6(2):262–270. Dostupné z DOI: <http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ehf2.12413>.
- Gaksch M, Jorde R, Grimnes G et al. Vitamin D and mortality: individual participant data meta-analysis of standardized 25-hydroxyvitamin D in 26916 individuals from a European consortium. PLoS One 2017; 12(2): e0170791. Dostupné z DOI: <http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0170791>.
- Dziedzic EA, Gąsior JS, Pawłowski M et al. Vitamin D level is associated with severity of coronary artery atherosclerosis and incidence of acute coronary syndromes in non-diabetic cardiac patients. Arch Med Sci 2019; 15(2): 359–368. Dostupné z DOI: <http://dx.doi.org/10.5114/aoms.2019.83291>.
- Robinson-Cohen C, Hoofnagle AN, Ix JH et al. Racial differences in the association of serum 25- hydroxyvitamin D concentration with coronary heart disease events. JAMA 2013; 310(2):179–188. Dostupné z DOI: <http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.7228>.
- Ahuja V, Masaki K, Vishnu A et al. Progression of coronary artery calcium in Japanese American men and white men in the ERA JUMP study. Int J Cardiol 2017; 228: 672–676. Dostupné z DOI: <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2016.11.238>.
- Barth S, Marwan M, Hausleiter J et al. Coronary computed tomography angiography (CCTA) in patients with suspected stable coronary artery disease (CAD): diagnostic impact and clinical consequences in the German Cardiac CT Registry depending on stress test results. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 2019; 35(4):741–748. Dostupné z DOI: <http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10554–018–1504–0>.
- McGraw S, Carlson C, Grant K et al. Feasibility of ultra low-dose coronary computed tomography angiography. Indian Heart J 2018; 70(3): 443–445. Dostupné z DOI: <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ihj.2017.09.004>.
- Shin S, Park H-B, Chang H-J et al. Impact of intensive LDL cholesterol lowering on coronary artery atherosclerosis progression a serial CT angiography study. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2017; 10(4): 437–446. Dostupné z DOI: <http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcmg.2016.04.013>.
General practitioner for adults